Saturday, October 21, 2006

An introduction to me

I'm going to try (the first person to go Yoda on me gets a light saber up their, well use your imagination, I know I will), to keep this short since the whole blog is about me. My motivation in writing this blog is to chronicle my transformation into who and what I want to be.

That transformation is going to be on every level I can conceive of: mental, physical, emotional, financial, moral, ethical, everything. But to understand that change, it will be helpful for you to know where I started from.

The easiest to describe is the physical. At 6'1 and 1/2 inches I weighed 263 lbs. when I began my current workout program. My measurements were gut: 52", neck 16", chest 47", arms 15, and thighs 26". My body fat was about 36% and my BMI around 34. This puts me well in to the obese category of course, with all that that implies for my health. I do want to clarify one thing, I do not believe I am pathetic because I am fat, I believe I am fat because I am pathetic. The first would be self-hatred, the second is self-understanding.

As of my last weigh in (which I do once a week on Monday), I am 256lbs. I haven't bothered to re-measure myself, not enough weight loss to justify it. Seven pounds in nine weeks is not significant, but the lackluster results are do to less than spectacular diet, and not following my regimen as I should. That's no small part of the reason why I'm doing this (the blog). I think by having to record it all for the world to see, I'll follow my program more carefully.

Mentally, it's not so much a problem of what I have, I have an excellent mind (humble aren't I). It's what I've done with it. Or more to the point what I haven't done with it. After all it doesn't matter how good your mind is, if you don't use it, it's a waste.

Financially, I'm broke all the time. I know what I should do, I just don't most of the time. Far too often it's just too much of a bother to discipline myself financially. And though I have ideas for how to increase my income, I just don't move forward with them. And having to deal with debt and overdue bills all the time is one of the best ways to increase one's misery.

On the moral/ethical front it's not so much any great wrongs I've done or anything like that, I mean I haven't committed genocide or anything like that lately. It's just that except when life's pushed me into it I haven't really figured out exactly where I stand in those areas. I have a general framework kind of, but I haven't put a whole lot of thought into it. That's something else I'll be doing here.

So much for keeping it short.

No comments: